Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

-->

--> “The Generation Xers are defined as much by their shared experiences as by their age. Increasing parental divorce rates and higher employment for their mothers made them the first generation of latchkey kids. Although they seek success, they are less materialistic; they prize experience, not acquisition. For many of the Gen Xers that are parents, family comes first—both children and their aging parents—and career second. From a marketing standpoint, the Gen Xers are a more skeptical bunch. They tend to research products before they consider a purchase, preferring quality over quantity, and they tend to be less receptive to overt marketing pitches.” Pg.73
I was born in 1958, yet have never thought of myself as a Baby Boomer. I didn’t even know what Generation X was until I heard the words Gen X in the 90’s, and at that point, they were called the MTV generation. Now, looking at each one from a marketing standpoint, I definitely associate with the Gen Xer’s more than the B-Boomers. In the statement above the words “Less materialistic” jump out at me. The higher parental divorce rate and working moms also factor into my feeling this way. And the following statements, to me are ridiculous. I am by no means wealthy. (of course I realize its referring to the generation as a whole.)
“Although they might now be feeling the pinch of the weakened economy, the baby boomers are still the wealthiest generation in U.S. history. As they reach their peak earning and spending years, the boomers will continue to constitute a lucrative market for financial services, new housing and home remodeling, travel and entertainment, eating out, health and fitness products, and just about everything else.
In a commercial, 1960s icon Dennis Hopper talks plainly about what retirement means in these uncertain economic times. Standing at a crossroads on a major highway, Hopper advises: ‘So here you are, a little confused. Did you think the road to retirement was an expressway? You can’t start this journey without knowing where you’re going. You, my friend, need a plan.’
It all begins with understanding ones dreams. And Dreams don’t retire.” Pg. 72

No comments:

Post a Comment